Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Day 12: Two Mustangs! and the Gift of the Magi! (sort of)

I have probably mentioned a time or two about how small our house is, which is mostly true when the kidlngs are with us. When it's just the two of us our home is "plenty" as the Hawaiians say. That being said, we still have to navigate tiny space considerations like One person in the kitchen at a time, and Should we hang more coat hooks or get rid of some coats, and What else can we cram under the dining room table that we use as a storage vessel?

Our upstairs bathroom is such that if 2 people are in it, one must remain sitting on the toilet (lid down preferably) while the other Does Stuff (teeth, hair, etc…). JC likes to keep an extra toothbrush and toothpaste in the downstairs bathroom which is just a toilet and sink, so he can do his teeth before his early morning forays without waking us all up, and he often does them downstairs at night as well.

Why am I telling you this, you are surely by now querying in your little brains.

Well, a little while ago we were readying ourselves for bed, which seems to take an unreasonable amount of time when all I really want to do is just Get In Bed, but anyway, I went upstairs and waited in our bedroom for a few minutes to give JC some space to do his teeth in the upstairs bathroom, while unbeknownst to me, he was doing his teeth in the downstairs bathroom to give me space to do mine in the upstairs bathroom.

We crossed paths when he crept upstairs (he walks around like a goddamn Indian, and inadvertently scares the shit out of me on a daily basis because you never hear him coming and then he suddenly looms in the darkness, silent…) and it suddenly came to light that neither of us had used the upstairs bathroom out of consideration for the other. We stared at each other for a moment until I whispered, "It's like The Gift of the Magi!". JC gave me that look that a dog does when you blow those stupid silent whistles, cocked his head to one side, and got in bed. So it may not be exactly like The Gift of the Magi, but sorta kinda close, in my book.

Anywho, we head out to Ophir to check out Mustang a couple of weeks ago for our usual Saturday ski tour excursion. We had medium-high hopes about the amount of snow we had received overnight, then dampened our expectations when the Ophir road showed less new snow than we had in town, but by the time we crest the top of Mustang, we realize we are in for it! In a good way.

A lone skier had broken trail for us the whole way up, which is not necessary but appreciated (thank you Dylan) and when we survey our first segment, we are overwhelmed with the amount of new snow - a total surprise to see the snow reaching up towards our knees. We reassess our routes and form a slightly safer plan for each of the segments, then start to make our way down, face shots the whole way.

As we are shuffling back to the start of the ascent up the jane's skin track, I am thinking my throat is kind of scratchy but I really want to ski another one, I don't want to get sick but how can I just go home and be done with all this before noon?? and then what, ski on the area all afternoon?? so I said, I'm in for another one. We see some of the Ophir old-timers heading up and they pass us, then we borrow some nice coconutty smelling sunscreen face stick thingie from a guy who is heading up the same way as us. 



Top of the second lap!

Turns out my energy is better on the second lap up, which becomes a subject of discussion and my conclusion is this: I may wake up naturally fairly early (between 6 and 7 every day) but it takes my body quite some time to really get moving. Yes I may eat a heavier breakfast but my energy has always come to fruition by late morning, and that is exactly what happens this day. We march up to the top again, connect with the old farts, hear a few stories about Ophir that neither one of us knew, then make our way down again, loving every turn. I am thrilled to have the strength and mental fortitude to do 2 Mustangs and still not be all that tired after skiing.

And then… within 17 feet of the car I have a total bonk. I was pretty much ripping into our bag of salty chips and peanut butter sandwiches while simultaneously taking my ski boots off and getting into the car.

Super successful day and incredible snow. Again. Here's some more eye candy of those blissful snowy January days:




P.S. Powder skiing is not overrated.




No comments: