Friday, February 19, 2016

Day 13: Secret Mustang Stashes and New Ninja Top

Still in the good January snow cycle, we take another Mustang excursion with very low expectations (do you recognize a pattern? "If you're not satisfied, lower your expectations") on a Saturday Kids In Ski Club Day.

Our expectations are low not so much because of the amount or quality of snow we expect to find, but because of the amount of tracks we expect to find on all the safer routes. 

I am trying out my new Ninja top that I purchased the day before. I has a hood and an off-set zipper that lets you reveal only your serious weather-assessing face at the top of the skin track. Yes, my avalanche beacon on my belly makes me look frumpy and pregnant, but check out the Ninja top!!

Serious weather-assessing Ninja Face.

We run into Bill and Dr. Peter, quickly assess where each person is skiing, then Bill gets a crackling voice on his Motorola from Parker, his 3 year old at home in Ophir ("Hi dad." "Hi Parker") It was pretty cute.

We decide to ski Mustang in a way that allows me to learn a little more about the terrain and routes, and us to poke around sniffing out untracked snow. It is so much fun! I successfully navigate some tighter steeper trees, then we traverse across an opening and marvel at how different the snow quality can be with just the slightest difference in angle away from the San Juan Sun, even in January.


The rare selfie. 

I like skiing like that, where you just enjoy being outside, watching the light change and analyzing the snow as you go, getting some surprisingly good turns by being observant, patient, and appreciative. There was plenty of untracked snow out there. Plenty.

Short post about that day. But that's kind of just all it was.

No comments: